The pagoda is on the eastern side of Thuy Son (Water), one of the five Marble Mountains. To the right of the pagoda is Vong Hai Dai (sea-viewing pavilion), which offers a clear view of Non Nuoc Beach, and to the left is Ngu Coc Cave. Tang Chon Cave is behind the Linh Ung Pagoda.
It is an ancient pagoda with great historical value. The pagoda was constructed and named Ung Chan in the period of King Gia Long (Nguyen Dynasty), but King Thanh Thai (Nguyen Dynasty) renamed it Linh Ung Pagoda in 1841. The pagoda, considered part of the beautiful landscape of Da Nang, has been restored many times.
Inside the main sanctuary are representations of the three Buddhas: A Di Da (Amitabha), the Buddha of the Past; Thich Ca Mau Ni (Sakyamuni, or Siddhartha Gautama), the Buddha of the Present; and Di Lac (Maitreya), the Buddha of the Future.
There are also statutes of Visvabhadhra Bodhisattva, Manjusri Bodhisattva, Avalokitecvara Bodhisattva (or Goddess of Mercy), Ksitigartha Bodhisattva, and the eighteen arhats.
The pagoda houses two valuable golden boards, one of which marks the recognition of the pagoda as a national pagoda in the sixth year of King Minh Mang’s reign, and the other recognises the new name of the pagoda, Linh Ung, in the third year of King Thanh Thai’s reign.
Linh Ung Pagoda at Marble Mountains has been designated a national historical and cultural site by the Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism.
inDanang – Live in Da Nang